They wallow in filth and are the primary cause of childhood asthma. They aren’t going away anytime soon, they have been pests for about four million years, and cockroaches will probably outlive us all.
According to the National Pest Management Association, up to 98% of homes in urban areas host cockroaches, and if you think you belong to the other 2%, you’re wrong. Cockroaches are excellent at hiding, and they only leave their hiding spot at night, making them hard to notice. They’re there even if you can’t see them. But if you spot one during the day, the infestation is bad, really bad.
Could cockroaches crawl inside your body? How many roaches are in one egg? Where do they hide in your house?
Step 1. Sleep with one eye open
In Tallahassee, Florida a man fought a cockroach infestation for three years, until one crawled into his ear when he was sleeping. He could feel the cockroach burrowing deeper inside his ear passage but he couldn’t get it out. So he went to the hospital. They poured lidocaine in his ear and he heard the roach squeal as it was dying on his ear canal. When they pulled out the roach, it already had laid an egg.
Step 2. Don’t feed them
There are more than 3,500 species of cockroaches around the world, and the German cockroach is the most common. They carry diseases like dysentery, cholera, leprosy, and many more. Even clean houses could host these creepy crawlers. All they need is easy access to food and water and they’ll stay. Cut off their source of food. Don’t leave dirty dishes or pet food exposed for a long time.
Step 3. Call the professionals
If you can’t fix the problem, call an experienced professional before the situation gets out of control. That happened in a Tennessee home where cockroaches were falling from the ceiling. The infestation was so bad that the pros had to use fogging machines to kill the cockroaches. It took the pest control company 6 hours to tackle the infestation.
Step 4. Destroy their homes
These six-legged bugs love to nest on paper and cardboard. One of their eggs can hatch up to 40 roaches. If you don’t get rid of empty boxes, you could be providing the cockroaches a home without even knowing it. The best way to deal with cardboard boxes is to break them down and recycle them so cockroaches won’t have a place to hide. And since they like dark places they won’t survive long out in the open.”
Step 5. Take off your shoe
If everything fails go back to basics. Roaches are gross and creepy but the fastest way to kill one is to smash it with your shoe. Sure, you’ll make a mess and it probably won’t be pretty but it will be effective. Also by killing it with force, you’ll attract more cockroaches. This sounds like a bad idea. But remember, the only way to get rid of them is by luring them out of their hiding spots, so you see them and deal with them.
You’ve managed to survive being infested by these creepy critters, but don’t relax yet. Because there could be an even more dangerous pest attacking you from inside your body. Want to know how to get it out?
- “15 Pest Control Horror Stories That Will Make Your Skin Crawl“. Kristine Solomon. 2021. Family Handyman.
- “Warning: This is a story about a cockroach in a guy’s ear”. 2018. CBC.
- “If you see cockroaches during the day, the infestation is bad (Sample Newsletter Article)”. 2021. Stoppests IPM In Multifamily Housing Blog.
- “Cockroaches – Canada.Ca”. canada.ca.
- “7 ways to kill a cockroach in your home”. Rachel, Murphy. 2021. Insider.